Tags; Its My Life! My World!

Nokia 3230 (77) It’s My Life (42) Vehicles (21) Reality (19) Alibag (18) Nokia N95 8GB (16) Food (11) Funny (11) Movies (10) My Fish (8) Arowana (6) Cell Phones (6) Computer Games (4) HP (4) Adventure (2) NFS (2) TV-Series (2)

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Grafting, A Mango Tree, It’s Fun! For the first time though ……………

Mango Grafting Detail
Mango Grafting

I did this last November.

This "Dasshari" Mango plant is 2 year’s old, it just refused to grow.

One of father’s friend gave me this Idea, he has a farm-house where I saw the real implementation of grafting and was inspired to do the same...........................

Note : As far as I know, this technique can only be used for plants less than 4-5 years old, and less than 4-5 feet’s in height. For Older plants there is other technique, which I will discuss later……………

And I don’t know any plant other than Mango, which can support this type of Grafting.

Procedure: (Refer the two Pictures above.)

Primary Plant (painted green) – It is the main plant, to be grafted to double the growth.

Secondary Plant (painted red) – It’s the secondary plant, whose sole purpose is to provide support for the Primary Plant.

This must be done only after rainy-season. Before the rainy-season plant 2-3 mango seeds very close near the root of the Primary Plant. The seeds will germinate and start developing, we need only one Secondary Plant, so remove the other two, there purpose is to ensure that we have a Secondary Plant for carrying on our experiment, because not all seed’s germinate.

After the Secondary Plant is ready, that is 4-5 month’s after planting.

At the root of both plants, where they touch each another, strip the outer skin, such as the innermost white area becomes visible, don’t strip too deep, just a millimeter or two.

Tie these plants with the stripped white area of both the plants touching each other. Use a bio-degradable rope (small) / thread / cloth strip. Tie the knot as tight as possible.

Then after a month or two, limit the Secondary Plant’s growth up to One feet. Keep cutting it to maintain the height.

Benefits:

This process merges both the plants together. And as the Secondary Plant’s growth is limited, it passes all its food resources to the Primary Plant, thus doubling the growth.

It’s similar to a Plant having one body and two root’s.

It's fun..................................................



8 comments:

Mansoor said...

Hi,
Is this cultivar Indian origin. I got two mango seeds from Pakistan here in US and got them germinated. One of them is about 1 ft and the other one is hardly 4 inches. I really liked your idea of joining two plants to grow the primary faster. I have a question though. Is this process only to help grow it faster or also to help you get a better quality fruit. I was reading some articles where it said if we graft a scion from a tree that is bearing good fruit to the plant that we are growing from a seed it gives you a better quality fruit and it also bear fruit faster. What do you thing?

Amol Naik said...

In this process the secondary plant is only used as a supplement and later is chopped off so that it won’t grow. It’s just like doubling the intake of necessary elements.

The quality of the secondary plant doesn’t matter at all because at this stage just think of this as a normal plant which gathers nutrients and water from the ground. The tree that really grows, in this case the primary plant will have its own qualities and will not share any from the secondary plant.

This Indian Mango species is called “Dasheri”. It’s different and awesome, a late season fruit though.

Caution: Be very careful while joining as it requires experience. The joint should be tied tightly and wax should be applied to open areas to seal it.

I will suggest you to try this stuff. It’s pretty much exiting and trust me there’s a awesome feeling to when you achieve success with your experiments

Chris said...

Hello there! I see a lot of grafting posts in many blogs. Like you said, I think it's quite exciting. I'm not quite there yet though. I'm still hoping my seeds will germinate.

Amol Naik said...

Don't worry Chris, there is always a first time.
just keep doing it, if you fail then try some other technique.
You might find lots of useful resourses on the net
Happy Grafting :-)

Chris First Time Mango Planter said...

Thank you Amol. I do hope my first time is now. ;-)

Then again the downside is not so bad. If my seeds don't sprout, it only means I get to eat more mangoes in the name of gardening. ;-)

Amol Naik said...

Right said
HE HA :p

Rabbit said...

Hi Amol! Just dropping by to let you know I finally got one mango seed to sprout! ;-) The first time is sweet.

Chris said...

Hey there. Dropping by again. Just letting you know my seeds finally sprouted! ;-)